King George winner Take Cover aimed at Nunthorpe

David Allan riding Take Cover (L, red)

Take Cover (left) winning the King George Stakes at Goodwood

  PICTURE: Getty Images  

 By Keith Melrose 12:36PM 4 AUG 2016 

TAKE COVER, who won a second successive King George Stakes at Goodwood last week, is set to bid for a first Group 1 at the age of nine in the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes at York on Friday August 19.

Trainer David Griffiths said: “I think it probably was his best-ever run. He’s as good as ever, definitely.”

RELATED LINKS

He added: “The race at Goodwood was obviously a very good one and he turned the tables with a few of them. He has come out of the race really well, he likes York and we go there, hopefully, all guns blazing.”

The trainer said of the ground at York: “Good ground is fine, on the quick side is better and good to firm like it was at Goodwood is ideal. We are just praying for no rain.”

Take Cover ran in the Nunthorpe two years ago, finishing eighth behind Sole Power.

“Just a fraction before the off, he went up over the top of the stalls, whacked his head and still ran very well that day and was only beaten two lengths. We’ve fixed the stalls problem now, touch wood,” said Griffiths.

Take Cover is 14-1 with BetVictor for the Nunthorpe this year, but is generally available at 12-1.

He would not be the oldest first-time Group 1 winner were he to prove successful. Yavana’s Pace won the Grosser Preis Von Bayern for Mark Johnston in 2002 at the age of ten under Keith Dalgleish.

 
Horse Racing News | Racing Post

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close