Girls team: celebrated a memorable success at the Shergar Cup last year
PICTURE: Getty Images
By Lee Mottershead 11:17AM 6 AUG 2016
THE Dubai Duty Free Shergar Cup’s rules and regulations are as follows:
– Horses were allocated to jockeys and teams on Thursday after form experts ranked runners in terms of their perceived chances.
– Each of the six races are contested, in theory, by ten horses (a reserve can be admitted up to 45 minutes before the scheduled off).
– In all races, two teams have three runners with the other two having a pair of runners. This balances itself out across the card so that all 12 riders compete in five races and sit the other one out.
– To ensure there are six competitive handicaps they don’t all sit out the same race.
– Points are awarded to the first five jockeys in every race on a 15, 10, 7, 5, 3 basis. Those points are then also distributed to the jockeys’ teams. Non-runners who cannot be replaced by a reserve score four points.
– At the end of the sixth race, the team with the most number of points is awarded the Shergar Cup, while the jockey with the biggest points haul is prsented with the Alistair Haggis Silver Saddle plus an additional £3,000 prize.
– If there is a tie for either competition the team or jockey with the most victories will be adjudged the winner.
– If there is still a tie, second places will be counted, then, if necessary, third and fourth places.
– If at that stage jockeys or teams remain inseparable joint-winners will be announced and the musical entertainment could be somewhat delayed.